Friday Fun Facts About Stuff
Every so often I come across facts that don’t fall into specific categories.
Here are some random facts you can relay that will make you look pretty cool around the coffee maker at work.
Fun Facts About Stuff
- If you expect mediocrity from others so less is expected of you there’s a term for that. It’s called “Kakonomics.” (Source)
- Need more Twitter followers? Just win an Olympic Gold metal. That should get you about 9,000 more followers. (Source)
- Newer may not be better. New homes and their contents burn faster today than 30 years ago. The time to escape a house fire has gone down dramatically from 17 minutes to just 3 to 4 minutes. (Source)
- London is home to one-fifth of all the worlds gold. About $248 billion is stored beneath the streets of London. (Source)
- Apple has finally reached the point where they could buy Disney or Coca-Cola for cash. (Source)
- Cigarettes used to be the most popularly traded item in prison. Today it’s — are you ready — Top Ramen. (Source)
- We are a country of immigrants. Fifty of our 2016 US Olympic team were not born in America. (Source)
- During the Vietnam War between the years 1964 to 1973 the US dropped 2 million tons of bombs on Laos. That works out to a planeload of bombs every 8 minutes for nine years. (Source)
- Vasili Arkhipov, a senior officer on a Soviet submarine, may have prevented WW 3 by refusing to launch a nuclear torpedo in October of 1962 when his submarine was being hit with depth charges by US forces. (Source)
- Acts of cruelty against animals are now counted alongside felony crimes like arson, burglary, assault, and homicide in the FBI’s expansive criminal database. (Source)
- Ever find a car you like and suddenly see that car everywhere when you never noticed it before? It’s called the “Baader-Meinhof” (Source)
- Just how dumb are we? Would Iraq in 2013 be your first thought for a vacation destination? Well it was for more than 800,000 in spite of a war in full swing. (Source)
- Ten countries won their very first gold medals at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. Vietnam, Singapore and Jordan are no longer shut out. (Source)
Some Final Thoughts
Now you can amaze your friends with your dazzling brilliance armed with all the fabulous Friday fun facts above.
Add your own fabulous Friday fun facts in the comments below.