Kevin Lino, 27, the man accused of torturing and killing a homeless man under the Reserve Street Bridge in July, has refused extradition to Missoula during a court hearing in Louisiana.

Missoula County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer Paige Pavalone said Lino was arraigned in Shreveport, Louisiana and refused to voluntarily return to Missoula to face charges that he tortured Gilbert Barry, 36, shot him, and dumped his body in the Clark Fork River, to be found by a fisherman several days later.

"Kevin Lino was arraigned in their court system down there," Pavalone said. "They asked if he wanted to waive extradition and he did not want to waive, so he requested a hearing. If he refuses extradition, then the county attorney will have to request a governor's warrant, and after it is signed, Lino will be forced to return to Missoula to face charges."

Pavalone recounted the circumstances that led to Berry's death.

"Lino is the principal suspect in an incident that happened under the Reserve Street Bridge," she said. "The victim was found in the river by a fisherman. Gilbert Berry was tortured, mutilated and shot, basically murdered in cold blood. Lino and Angela Marchese fled the state of Montana, and they were found and arrested in Shreveport, Louisiana."

Angela Marchese
photo from MCSO

Pavalone said Marchese will remain in Louisiana to face other charges.

"Marchese is being held on charges of possessing stolen property, and once those charges are dealt with, Montana can start their extradition process for her, as well," Pavalone said. "We'll know more on the 15th, because that's when Lino's hearing is scheduled for waiver of extradition."

Two others involved in the incident, Kenneth Hickman and Mechailiah Tembrueull, both 21, are in the Missoula County jail.

When Lino is returned to Missoula, he will face a charge of deliberate homicide in Berry's death.

Missoula County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer Paige Pavalone

More From KMMS-KPRK 1450 AM