How To Get Farm Fresh Produce Without The Work [Listen]
Morgan Rasmussen of Cedar Rose Farm north of Three Forks joined Tom Egelhoff on the April 14th edition of Open for Business. (Hear this informative interview below)
Rasmussen has a 50-acre farm and a little less than two acres are devoted to what is called a CSA Farm.
For over 25 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer.
Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public.
Typically, the share consists of a box of vegetables, other farm products may be included.
Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season.
Rasmussen’s farm is also the only “U-Pick CSA Farm,” and they also deliver to the Bozeman and Big Sky area.
This arrangement creates several rewards for both the farmer and the consumer. In brief:
Advantages for farmers:
- Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their 16-hour days in the field begin.
- Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm's cash flow.
- Have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow.
Advantages for consumers:
- Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits.
- Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking.
- Usually get to visit the farm at least once a season.
- Find that kids typically favor food from "their" farm - even veggies they've never been known to eat.
- Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown.
Rasmussen is also beginning to teach classes for those would like to use her land to grow your own produce.
She will also cover business basics for those who want to harvest to sell at Farmer’s Markets around the area for a little extra household money each week.
For more information call Morgan Rasmussen of Cedar Rose Farm at 406-579-9356.