Friday Fun Facts About Cell Phones
I recently read about a man who had to have his cell phone surgically removed from his ear. He talked so much his arm just froze there.
OK, maybe that’s a bit of a stretch but you can't sit in a waiting room anywhere is America that he majority of people aren’t starring at their phones.
Here are some fun facts about smart phones you might not have known.
Fun Facts About Mobile Phones
- Hard to believe that your small phone has a bigger computer with more computing power than was used for the Apollo 11 moon landing.
- Cell phones first hit the market in 1983. Suggested Retail Price – about $4,000. Not sure now many minutes came with that.
- Did you buy an iPhone in 2012? Apple sold 340,000 iPhone each day in 2012.
- You’ll be happy to know that your cell phone has a whopping 18 times more bacteria than the average toilet handles. You might want to wipe that thing off now and then.
- Ninety percent of phones in Japan are waterproof. Why you ask? Because Japanese kids use them all the time even in the shower. So much for bacteria.
- Are cell phone healthy. Many experts have concerns about radiation causing insomnia, headaches and confusion. I had all that before cell phones.
- What happens if you are out camping and your cell phone battery runs down? Scientists to the rescue. They have found a way to use urine to charge your phone. Bacteria are back.
- Martin Cooper, a former Motorola inventor, is usually credited with making the very first cell phone call. Psychic Hot Line maybe?
- Apple has higher sales of just their iPhones than the entire line of Microsoft products.
- What do you have when you can’t find your phone or can’t get a signal? Nomophopia of course. Shouldn’t that be no-mo-phone-aphobia?
- Nokia sold over 250 million of their model 1100 cell phone making it the best selling (celling?) electrical device in history.
- Clumsy Britain’s drop 100,000 phones in toilets each year. Bacteria is back.
- You have a better chance of having a cell phone than a toilet in much of the world.
- More people in China are on their cell phones than are on computers.
- If you fully charge your iPhone every day of the year it’s going to cost you a quarter ($.25) Now tell me you’re not thankful for that overtime pay.
- Sixty-five percent of smartphone users don’t download any apps each month and I am one of them.
Some Final Thoughts
Your average cell phone uses technology that has about 250,000 separate patents. They are one of those things that once you have one it’s very hard to do without it.
Cell phones are highly addictive.
I can take a blood test at my Doctor’s and see the result on my phone by the time I get home. I can bank, explore, read, invest, oh and make calls too.
How do you use your cell phone?