Where to Find the Best Truck Stops in Montana
Good truck stops are awesome. I love them and I'm not embarrassed to sing their praises. However, all truck stops are certainly not created equal, so let's take a look at the best Montana has to offer.
Our list here is a combination of personal experience, recommendations from our trucker friends, road trippin' junkies and truck stops that are highly rated online. We checked not only the typical reviews but those that came from industry users in the transportation world.
Pilot Licensed Location - Town Pump #910 in Three Forks, MT: (Located at the intersection of I-90 and US 287) This one is just plain convenient and clean. For road trippers and truckers alike. 9total fuel lanes, Diesel Lanes, 5 Showers, Diesel Mobile Fueling, ATM, CAT Scale, DEF Lanes, Game Room, Public Laundry, Truck Parking Spaces. There's also a Subway at this truck stop for a reasonably healthy meal, in addition to all the typical truck stop/Pilot store food inside. Very decent coffee. RATED 4.6 OUT OF 5 ON GOOGLE REVIEWS.
- "Great place to stay the night or weekend! Decent fuel prices, nice showers, lots of parking."
- "This was a great stop for everything! Everyone was friendly, everything was clean, the shower was one of the best, plenty of parking, the food looked fresh, & reasonable prices."
Pilot/Town Pump/Exxon Truck Stop in Columbus, MT: (602 East 8th Avenue North) I think this one made the list strictly out of convenience. Lots of listeners mentioned this and it's rated well by truckers for cleanliness of showers, towels, etc. Important stuff when you're on the road. You can't miss this plaza as it's just south of the Columbus I-90 exit. There's also a McDonalds right next door.
- "Had to stay here during late winter storm 2022. Staff was helpful and super funny. Clean bathrooms, great parking. Coffee shop and McDonald’s right next door as well as hotel. Lots to choose from in store and plenty of overnight truck parking and worked all night trying to keep up with falling snow."
- "A great place to hang out on your break. Surprisingly friendly staff. Clean hot showers and a comfortable drivers lounge. I spent a few hrs in the lounge just watching TV. No restaurant but great on-the-go food choices."
St. Regis Travel Center in St. Regis, MT: (5 Old Highway 10 East, St Regis) This one is a local's favorite for many reasons. It's cool and kind of fun. Montana family-owned since 1962. Clean, modern restrooms, Montana's largest and best gift shop (free popcorn), live trout aquarium, Huck's Grill (try the Huckleberry shake), Dolly V's ice cream, homemade fudge, and espresso, Cutthroat Henry's Casino and packaged liquor, large convenience store and fuel station.
The gift shop is very cool with tons of stuff you don't need but will totally want. If you're driving between Missoula and the Idaho border, this fun joint is a must. Small trucks are fine but this place is geared more to the traveling family.
- "Walked in looking for nothing, came out with $200 less than when I came in! Awesome store, awesome selection, great stuff!!! A great visit!!"
- "My kids enjoyed the fish tank where they could crawl under and in to take a picture!"
- "THIS is the place to buy all your Montana gifts and deserts! They have everything from jewelry to shirts and fudge to huckleberry goods!"
- "There is a good sized gas station and convenience store as well. Nice little dog park across the street too."
TWO-FER: Conoco/Town Pump/Flying J and Exxon/Casey's Corner #8 in Billings, MT: On the east end of Billings, just south of I-90. These are across the street from each other at the intersection of Johnson Lane and Old Hardin Road. About a mile before 90 splits into 90 and 94. With two separate options, these two establishments are not only easy to get to but they'll cover the needs of normal travelers and real truckers.
- "Very clean and excellent help. Great place to stop and get gas and food and fishing bait."
- "I went here for gas because I use the "Get Upside" Cash back on gas app and this place was offering the most cash back per gallon."
- "Easy to get too from the highway. This location has lots of pumps for commercial and residential vehicles. With many diesel lanes all with DEF and one pump with off road red dye diesel. The store had showers and an area to rest as well as clean bathrooms. There was a good selection of beverages and snack foods including healthy options."
(No longer a Pilot) Town Pump Travel Center in Miles City, MT: Located just off I-94, this is one of your best bets in the area. We know eastern Montana is sparse so it's crucial to know where to stop to load up on everything you need. It's good for travelers, decent for truckers. A couple of hotel options in the complex if you need to stay the night.
- "The showers were super clean but there were no shelves in the shower or hooks on the wall to hang clothes. Water pressure was great and the shower stayed hot so I’m ok with it. They had a truckers lounge by the showers with tv and 2 recliners. Laundry available."
- "So doesn't look like the place is a pilot location anymore (thank God). Newer building with better facilities. Huge parking for trucks. Friendly staff."
- "For you truckers there are several hotels nearby and the Sleep Inn is almost attached to the parking lot. Make sure to walk across the street and enjoy the Black Iron Grill."
Best Tips to Keep Halloween Safe in Montana: Trick or Treating, Parties and Costumes
Gallery Credit: mwolfe
Hot Air Balloon Rides in Montana: What to Expect [PHOTOS]
Gallery Credit: mwolfe
Hiking Trail Etiquette: Dos and Don'ts in Montana
Gallery Credit: mwolfe