Popular New Crime On The Rise, Here’s What Montanans Need To Know
There is a "new" crime that is happening across the country, and it's apparently gaining in popularity. "Jugging" is happening all over the United States, and we have some useful tips that we're going to pass along to help you remain safe.
First, let's talk about exactly what "jugging" is.
Jugging is where someone will watch you go into a bank or a store, then follow you to your home and before assaulting and robbing you. It seems that women, the elderly, and those that are small in stature are the main victims being targeted.
Another method that is being used is criminals will watch you leave a business, put something in your car, then go into another business. The criminal will then smash your windows to retrieve whatever they think might be valuable.
This happened to me a few years back.
I got into the car with my bag which included my company laptop and phone. I remembered that I forgot to feed the dog, so I locked the car with the backpack in it and went back into the apartment, only to come out a few minutes later and see someone running down the sidewalk with my backpack in hand and a small cement block busted through my passenger window.
While there haven't been a lot of reports of jugging happening here in Montana, it's usually just a matter of time before these types of crimes start to show up in our local cities and towns.
Here are some tips that you should know to help you stay safe
- Be aware of your surroundings. Make sure to take a look and see if you notice anything or anyone strange.
- Try not to be distracted. Many times we are on our phones when entering a place of business, or entering our homes.
- Take notice to see if anyone might be following you. If you believe someone is following you, make sure to call 911.
- If receiving cash, make sure that you secure it in a safe location before leaving.
- Lock the doors of your vehicle once you are inside.
- Don't keep things in your vehicle that someone would want to steal.
While it's important to be alert, it's also important to follow your gut instinct. Oftentimes, we know if there is a situation that we need to be leery of.
LOOK: The biggest scams today and how you can protect yourself from them
States with the most registered hunters
READ MORE: 25 Companies You Might Not Know Are Owned by Disney