Friday Fun Facts About St. Valentine’s Day
It’s that time of year again. Love is in the air. All over America elementary school kids hearts are being broken by that one girl or boy not professing their undying love and asking to be someone’s Valentine
Oh well there’s always next year.
My birthday is in November. Exactly nine months almost to the day after Valentine’s Day. I guess dad got lucky mom didn’t. The rest of you who know me can talk among yourselves.
Here are a few fun facts about this heart filled day.
Fun Facts About St. Valentine’s Day
- St. Valentine’s Day and war? Emperor Claudius II didn’t like the idea of Roman men marrying during wartime. Bishop Valentine opposed that idea and married couples in secret. Before being executed he sent a note to his jailer’s daughter, “from your Valentine.”
- It was considered bad luck to sign a Valentine’s Day card in Victorian Times. I guess the theory is you might be rejected.
- Have you picked out the gift for your pet yet? Three percent of pet owners will give a Valentine’s Day gift to their furry friends.
- Valentine’s Day is the second biggest seasonal card sending day after Christmas. About 1 billion cards will be exchanged.
- In case you don’t have a Valentine tomorrow there is still hope. Celebrate “Singles Awareness Day (SAD)” instead.
- How many of you have had that, “I just want to be friends,” conversation? Then you can celebrate “Ystavanpaiva Day,” otherwise known as “friends day” from Finland.
- Have you ever wondered where the expression, “wearing your heart on your sleeve,” came from? In the middle ages young men and women drew names from a bowl to find their Valentine. They would pin the name to their sleeve and wear it there for a week.
- Richard Cadbury (Cadbury Eggs) came up with the idea for the first box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day in the late 1800s. Now you know who to blame.
- Just so you won’t be the only one in your office. At least 15 percent of women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day.
Some Final Thoughts
Candy, flowers or a nice candlelight diner might just keep you out of the doghouse till the end of the month. No guarantees.
If there’s a special someone in your life take a little time and let them know you appreciate them.
After all where would you be without them?