Friday Fun Facts About Phobias
The new attack words in social media are using the presumed power of adding — phobia to whatever you are doing wrong.
You're a homophobe, an Islamaphobe, or xenophobia — pick your "phobe" and go into attack mode.
Well, it’s come to my attention that the social media armies need some new phobias to use in their Facebook chats.
Here are a few you might like.
Fun Facts About Phobias
- According to recognized psychologists (you know who you are) there are more than 400 distinct phobias. And for big bucks they will treat them all for you.
- I don’t have a fear of Popes, just the current one. So I probably don’t have a case of Papaphobia.
- If you’re reading this and have a fear that you might have a phobia —Phobophobia is the fear of having a phobia.
- If you are religious you might fear the number 666, the mark of the beast. Fear of the number 666 is Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia.
- If you live in constant fear of not having your smart phone or being somewhere without a signal you might have Nomophobia. Call your doctor if you can get a signal that is.
- If you have a fear that ducks might be watching you — yes ducks. Not attacking, just watching. You could have Anatidaephobia. No info on pictures of Daffy Duck’s eyes following you around the room.
- If really hot babes make you uncomfortable you might have Caligynephobia — the fear of beautiful women. I’m very comfortable with 7s and below.
- What could possibly be scarier than Cenosillicaphobia — the fear of an empty beer glass?
- If you feel guilty being too happy, because you know if you are then something really bad will happen, then you have Cherophobia.
- Tis’ better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. But if you’ve given up being hurt then you might have Philophobia — the fear of falling in love.
- New research suggests that some phobias might be memories passed down through our DNA. Are you constantly checking for dinosaurs?
- I was never afraid of going to school, I just didn’t like it. So I guess I didn’t suffer from Didaskaleinophobia — the fear of going to school.
- If avoiding eye contact is your thing then you might have Ommatophobia — a fear of eyes.
Some Final Thoughts
It’s a wonder that we’re all not stark raving mad. Well, some of us clearly are, but think about all the irrational things there are to fear.
Ducks watching me? Are you kidding? I have a whole pond full across the way.
I guess in the final scheme of things fear of phobias would be number one on my list.
OK that’s it for me. Have to go check under the bed for dinosaurs. What are your deepest, darkest, phobias?
Share you’ll feel better. No charge.