Friday Fun Facts About Attraction: “I Like You!!! — WHY?”
I fell in love with Marilyn Monroe back in the 50’s. She was amazingly attractive which might explain why her name is still familiar more than 50 years after her death.
We’ve all met people that we liked immediately. And, we’ve met people, that for us, something was just “not right.” What is this attraction that we humans have for some, but not for others? High school adolescents experience major heartbreaks almost weekly as the object of their affection dumps them for someone else.
There are Hollywood actors who work constantly but are hardly household names but we all know those faces. You know them when you see them — they play the hero’s buddy, the comic relief or the lead actresses nemesis. They work steady because we like them but many would hardly be considered attractive by movie star standards. Here are some reasons why attraction is so powerful.
Fun Facts About Attraction
- Attraction is not reserved for adulthood. Neonatal nurses have been shown to lavish more attention on attractive babies of normal birth weight than less attractive babies.
- Other studies show that even mothers give more attention to their children they think are more attractive. These kids are normally more socialized.
- Let’s not leave teachers out. Teachers expect attractive children to do better in class; they get more attention, less punishment and consequently receive better grades and often do better in life.
- Safe sex practices go out the window when the lucky guy or gal is seen as more attractive by their partner. Talk about Russian roulette.
- Were your parents in their 30s when you were born, like I was? If so there is a very good chance you will find older faces more attractive than if your parents were in their 20s.
- College students tend to evaluate their professor’s performance based on the instructor’s attractiveness rather than their teaching ability or class quality.
- If you happen to be an attractive woman up for a job usually done by males you are going to be at a disadvantage. Research shows that if you were going to be a tow truck driver the perception is that you are too feminine to perform the required tasks.
- This is really sad. A rapist of an unattractive woman is more likely to be found innocent than if an attractive woman was the target of the assault.
- Political Television: The more attractive a politician is, the more news coverage he or she can expect.
- Size matters. Tall men have more success with the opposite sex than their shorter counterparts. But a lot of cash can level the playing field.
- If you want to be successful with the farmer’s daughter then your chances are greatly enhanced if you smell like dad.
- Kissing releases “oxycotin,” a powerful “love potion” so each partner sees the other’s face as more attractive. The more you kiss; the better you look.
Some Final Thoughts
The Greek philosopher Aristotle said, “personal beauty is a greater recommendation than any letter of reference.” In 1878, Margaret Wolfe Hungerford said, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”
I personally like that last one. Our outside appearance is superficial. What’s hidden inside is the treasure most of us seek. Next time you look in the mirror look past what you see and see what you don’t see. Let everyone see that.