You might need to get a new ID. So, I am flying out this weekend for a wedding and I am really excited about taking a nice easy flight. I was worry free; that was until I found a report that starting in 2018 Montana driver licenses will not be accepted as valid identification to go through security.

Credit:Scott Olson/Getty images

According to the Department of Homeland Security, the REAL ID act is to help prevent the access and travel of potential threats. This helps out our federal agencies and nuclear power plants and apparently Montana's driver licenses are not up to par.

So, starting in 2018, if you are flying you will need a different form of ID and luckily they do provide different forms you can get, but some of them I have never heard of here are a few that I thought you should know:

  • Passport: Easy to get and honestly if you are traveling abroad you have to have this. Everyone should have a passport just in case.
  • Border Crossing Card: Where do I get one of these?
  • Permanent Resident Card: This would come in handy, but how do I acquire one?
  • HSPD-12 PIV Card: They don't even have a description for this and I have no idea what to even make of it.

If you want to see the full list of acceptable IDs, go to the Department of Homeland Security. I definitely need to update my passport.

More From KMMS-KPRK 1450 AM