Dangerous Winds Friday in North Central Montana
Extremely gusty winds up to 65 mph will plague north central Montana near Great Falls with a High Wind Warning in effect. Downed trees and power outages are expected.
According to the National Weather Service:
HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO 6 PM THIS EVENING.
- WINDS...West 35 to 45 mph with gusts up to 65 mph.
- TIMING...Winds will become strong and gusty along the immediate Rocky Mountain Front through early this morning, with wind speeds increasing across the plains of North Central Montana during the mid-morning hours on Friday.
- Winds peak around midday to early afternoon before gradually diminishing through the remainder of the afternoon into early evening.
- Travel will be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles. Tree and power line damage is possible.
- Some power outages are expected.
- A High Wind Warning means a hazardous high wind event is expected or occurring.
- Sustained wind speeds of at least 40 mph, or gusts of 58 mph or more, can lead to property damage.