Bozeman Police Remind Residents to Practice Crosswalk Safety
If you've attempted to use an uncontrolled crosswalk in Bozeman, chances are you've almost been struck by a vehicle or have had to deal with motorists not stopping for pedestrians crossing the street.
On numerous occasions, while attempting to cross Mendenhall at the intersection of N. Grand Avenue, I've noticed that most drivers don't acknowledge pedestrians waiting to cross the street.
Now that school is back in session, the Bozeman Police Department would like to discuss crosswalk safety and has some advise for residents of Bozeman.
- Look out for pedistrians everywhere, at all times.
- Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or entering a cross walk.
- Use extra caution when driving in hard to see conditions.
- Yield to pedestrians in cross walks and stop well back from the cross walk to give other vehicles an opportunity to see the crossing pedestrians.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at cross walk. There may be people crossing that you can't see.
- Safety is a shared responsibility.
Please drive safely and be aware of your surroundings. Pedestrians should ALWAYS use designated crosswalks.