10 Ways To Tick Off A Montanan. How Many Have You Accomplished?
There are certain things that will get you trolled online, bashed with negative comments, and become the talk of the town. Here are 10 things that will get you shunned. Ok, shunned may be a bit extreme, but it will definitely NOT get you any bonus points.
Let me say, this list was made for the trolls. The people that will tear you apart online, and smile and shake your hand in public. There are way more good people in Montana than bad. I like to say, "the negative will yell, and the positive will whisper. Hear what you choose."
10 Ways To Tick Off A Montana Local.
1. Why are there so few street lights? When I first moved here, I asked a question, and apparently, it was not ok to do that. You can see the article here and yell at me again or agree with me, the choice is yours. Enjoy and don't be too harsh, I have learned since then.
2. Call yourself a local, even if you are not. The question constantly comes up, "when are you considered a "local" in Montana. The answer is basically, "if you were born here". I find that interesting considering that if someone has lived here for 50 years and is 55 years old now, I would say you are a local.
Now if you moved here in the past 10 years and are now bashing people from the state you came from to try and fit in, you are not a local. You, my friend, are a transplant.
3. If you lack basic driving skills, you will get the ugly stare as you are being passed. I have included a couple of easy videos for you to watch so you don't become the victim of a "mean muggin".
4. Apparently saying "I wish we had a..." is a no-go for Montana. You will most likely get the response "go back to where you came from". Let's be honest though, there are always things that make our lives a bit easier. I can guarantee, the people telling you to go away, would still shop and eat there. For example, I wish our Target was a SuperTarget. There I said it. Should I go back to the fancy state of North Dakota now?
5. I just moved here from (insert any state that doesn't share a border with Montana). I have learned that it is somewhat acceptable if you move here from one of the bordering states, you are semi-ok. But you move here from a state that has an ocean touching it, oh boy...you are in for an earful.
6. Asking if there is any land or houses for sale near Bozeman, stating you don't have a budget and that you will just be using it for vacations primarily. THOSE ARE FIGHTIN' WORDS. I don't really think I need to elaborate on why that would make a Montanan mad.
7. Why are the roads so bad here? Here in Montana, we deal with all different types of weather. From hot summers to cool falls, to bitterly cold winters. This question comes up more in the winter than at any other time. I am guilty of wondering the same. I will be honest, I think there could be a little more sand at the stoplights and intersections. And I'm not sure why there are grooves in the roads, I guess to keep you in your own lane?
8. Taking a job here from out of state. This utterly confuses me. I hear so many people complaining that no one wants to work, they all work from home, bla bla bla. But here is the deal, if someone moves here to work, (not from home) then what is the big deal? Do you want businesses to be open for regular hours or not? Asking for a friend.
9. I sold my house for $1.2 million and bought it 20 years ago for $275 thousand. Ok, hear me out on this one. Wouldn't that make you part of the housing problem? Everyone wants more affordable housing, but then we see homes that sell for triple the price they were bought hitting the market like wildfire. Don't get me wrong, I would sell my house for a ridiculous price too if I had another option for living.
10. We are planning a trip to Montana this summer, what are some things we "must see"? Just the other day, I saw this question posted on Facebook, and HOLY MOLY the trolls sure did love that! I wouldn't be surprised if they got blisters on their fingers from all the comments. Small towns NEED tourism to survive. So stop telling people NOT to visit here.
This top 10 list will most likely make some of you mad...with that being said, watch for a top 11 coming soon.