Winter Weather Advisory Until 9pm Tonight 12/12/12
I was waiting all day for this to be issued, but here it is finally. Guess what? It’s snowing and the roads are a mess. Here are the details:
The National Weather Service in Great Falls has issued a Winter
Weather Advisory for snow… which is in effect until 9 PM MST this
* Timing and main impact: snow will gradually end this evening
with temperatures falling into the 20s. This will cause
hazardous driving conditions as roadways become increasingly
* Snow accumulations: new snow accumulation of up to 2 inches are
possible through 9 PM MDT this evening with storm total
accumulations of 3 to 5 inches in the valleys and 5 to 11 inches
in the mountains.
* Winds and visibility: visibility will be locally reduced to less
than a mile at times through early this evening in snow.
* Other impacts: roadways will remain snow packed and icy in areas
where heavy snow fell this afternoon. In areas where snow melted
this afternoon… roadways will become increasingly icy as
temperatures fall below freezing tonight.
* Locations affected include: Battle Ridge Pass… Bozeman…
Bozeman Pass… Targhee Pass… West Yellowstone… Ennis…
Norris Hill… Raynolds Pass… Twin Bridges.
A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means that periods of snow
will cause primarily travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow
covered roads. Hazardous driving conditions will persist well
after the precipitation has ended as roads will remain icy.
For specific Road and travel conditions in Montana… dial 5 1 1.