[UPDATE] Alleged Ohio High School Shooter Detained as Third Victim Passes
A shooting Monday at a high school in Chardon, OH has now claimed a third victim, Demetrius Hewlin, who died of his wounds on Tuesday morning.
In a statement released by the MetroHealth Medical Center, his family said, “Demetrius was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends. We will miss him very much, but we are proud that he will be able to help others through organ donation.”
While police haven’t yet named a motive for the attack or the alleged shooter, he’s reportedly a 17-year-old sophomore named T.J. Lane (pictured above). He’s expected to appear in juvenile court Tuesday, but Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said he expects he’ll be tried as an adult.
The first victim of the tragedy, student Daniel Parmertor, died Monday, and Russell King Jr. was declared brain-dead earlier on Tuesday. Two other students wounded in the shooting remain hospitalized, with one in serious condition.
Witnesses say just before class started Monday, Lane walked up to a table of students, pulled out a gun and started shooting.
“He was silent the entire time,” said Nate Mueller, who said his ear was grazed by a bullet. “There was no warning or anything. He just opened fire.”