Ice Jam Flood Warning Near Townsend Through Monday
Tis the season for ice jams along Montana's rivers. Campgrounds north of Townsend are experiencing some flooding due to ice jams, prompting a Flood Warning through Monday night.
According to the National Weather Service:
- WHAT: Flood Warning for an Ice Jam in Central Broadwater County in southwestern Montana.
- WHEN: Until 915 PM Monday
- At 8:37am on Sunday, emergency management reported flooding north of Townsend near Centerville Road including Indian Road Campground.
- Some locations that will experience flooding include Townsend.
- PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS: Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood deaths occur in vehicles.
- Stay away or be swept away. River banks and culverts can become unstable and unsafe.
WHAT DOES AN ICE JAM LOOK LIKE? (This video is from the Musselshell River in Montana and will give you a good idea of what happens when a river jams up with ice. Video by Ken Bryan on YouTube.)