Friday Fun Facts on Everything
Knowledge is a powerful thing. We all want to know the facts. Joe Friday, seems fitting on this day, on the old Dragnet TV show often said, “Just the facts Ma’am.” So today I thought I’d help you show off at work with assorted facts that you might not have been aware of.
Just the Facts Ma’am
- Most of us have seen a statue of a military man on horseback. Did you know the statue reveals how he died? You look at the horse. If all four feet are on the ground he died of natural causes. One food raised he died from wounds in a battle and both front feet off the ground he died in battle.
- Chances are you’ve heard the term, “the whole nine yards.” It’s a WWII phrase referring to .50 caliber machine gun ammo belts that measured 27 feet (9 yards) in length. Firing the full belt meant you gave the enemy “the whole nine yards.”
- The “rule of thumb” is an old English law that simply said that you were not allowed to beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb. You’ve come a long way baby.
- The next time someone tells you they will be back in a “jiffy” you can time them. A jiffy is actually 1/100th of a second. Don’t blink of you might miss it.
- Next time you are pitching pennies keep this fact in mind. The heads picture side weighs slightly more so it will end up on the bottom more than half the time.
- Perhaps cheerleaders should work at Starbucks. Yelling for 8 years, 7 months, and 6 days will produce enough sound energy to heat the average cup of coffee. You can’t make this stuff up.
- Weight loss tips. Every time you lick a stamp you consume about 1/10th of a calorie. Banging your head against a wall will expend 150 calories per hour.
- How much power does your heart muscle have? Each beat could squirt blood up to 30 feet.
- Planning on committing the perfect crime? Take a Koala Bear with you. Its fingerprints are virtually indistinguishable from humans.
- I’m sure everyone knows this. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321 – well now you do.
- You can’t keep a good girl down. Women invented the bulletproof vest, fire escapes, windshield wipers and laser printers.
- Are you a multi-tasker? Leonardo da Vinci could draw with one hand while writing with the other at the same time. Talk about your left right brain.
- You’ve been warned. There will always be a Friday the 13th in any month that begins on a Sunday.
Some Final Thoughts
The world is an amazing place and thankfully there are people with way too much time on their hands to help me come up with all this great info that you can use to amaze and delight your friends. Got any favorite facts to share?